The PGA TOUR makes its final regular season stop this week as we head to Sedgefield Country Club to play the 2022 Wyndham Championship. Located in Greensboro, N.C., the course opened in 1926 and was renovated in 2007.
Sedgefield Country Club is a Par 70 measuring 7,127 yards. Like last week at Detroit Golf Club, Sedgefield is a Donald Ross design featuring fast-rolling bermudagrass greens.
The Wyndham Championship will play host to 156 golfers this week, many of whom will be looking to punch a ticket to the FedEx St. Jude Championship, where the top 125 players in the FedEx Cup rankings will earn a spot. With many golfers having locked up their spot for the FedEx Cup playoffs, the field lacks some big names but is pretty solid overall. We will see the likes of Will Zalatoris, Shane Lowry, Webb Simpson, Corey Conners, Sungjae Im, Billy Horschel, Russell Henley and Davis Riley in Greensboro.
For contests on DraftKings, I will be breaking down the key stats (past 24 rounds) and selecting golfers from different price tiers to provide flexibility for a DFS lineup.
And if you missed it, we added two new metrics in our models — Perfect% and SimLeverage. You can find an explainer on those metrics here.
The cliff notes version is that you can use SimLeverage to quickly find leverage plays in tournaments, while Perfect% is excellent for finding the best price-considered plays for cash games.
This analysis may reference Strokes Gained, a set of proprietary metrics generated by the PGA TOUR using millions of data points to calculate how many shots, on average, it takes a player to get the ball in the hole from every distance and situation.
Strokes Gained is now available in the FantasyLabs PGA Models.
Strokes Gained: Approach
Approach rates out as the most crucial statistic for Sedgefield. Being a relatively short course with easy-to-hit fairways, it is most definitely a second-shot golf course.
- High-end target: Russell Henley— $9,800 (1st Strokes Gained: Approach)
- Mid-range target: Scott Stallings— $7,800 (4th Strokes Gained: Approach)
- Value target: Lee Hodges— $7,100 (9th Strokes Gained: Approach)
Birdie or Better: Gained
Many will remember Brandt Snedeker shooting a 59 here back in 2018. Golfers must go low here at some point in the four rounds, and birdie-makers tend to play very well at Sedgefield.
- High-end target: Will Zalatoris $10,900 (2nd Birdie or Better: Gained)
- Mid-range target: Keith Mitchell— $7,900 (7th Birdie or Better: Gained)
- Value target: Adam Svensson— $7,500 (1st Birdie or Better: Gained)
Strokes Gained: Putting (Bermuda and Fast)
Very good putters tend to be very successful at Sedgefield Country Club. The bermudagrass greens will be speedy and should favor golfers who have had success on that surface throughout their careers.
- High-end target: Billy Horschel— $10,300 (12th in Strokes Gained: Putting (Bermuda and Fast)
- Mid-range target: Scott Stallings— $7,800 (1st in Strokes Gained: Putting (Bermuda and Fast)
- Value target: Chesson Hadley— $6,900 (2nd in Strokes Gained: Putting (Bermuda and Fast)
Par 4: 400-450
The most common par-4 distance on the course will be from 400-450. There are eight holes of this length at Sedgefield Country Club, which is quite a large amount compared to other courses on TOUR.
- High-end target: Sungjae Im— $10,500 (13th Par 4: 400-450)
- Mid-range target: Tyrrell Hatton— $9,400 (3rd Par 4: 400-450)
- Value target: John Huh— $6,800 (2nd Par 4: 400-450)
Strokes Gained: Total Donald Ross Designs
Donald Ross designs have challenging green complexes and a unique feel to them. We often see golfers who excel at Donald Ross designs do so regularly throughout their careers.
- High-end target: Russell Henley— $9,800 (3rd Strokes Gained: Total Donald Ross Designs)
- Mid-range target: Justin Rose— $8,000 (9th Strokes Gained: Total Donald Ross Designs)
- Value target: J.J. Spaun— $7,300— (4th Strokes Gained: Total Donald Ross Designs)