Our Lineup Optimizer is an incredibly powerful tool inside our Player Models, particularly when creating a large number of lineups. However, it’s just that — a tool. We still have to make decisions. Otherwise, everyone would have the same 150 lineups in each contest.
This is intended more as a teaching piece than a step-by-step guide. These rules are suggestions that can show you how to translate your read on this game into lineups.
Additionally, this piece focuses on DraftKings Showdown contests, but similar strategies are useful on FanDuel.
For my general Showdown strategy, you can read my Showdown primer.
My Favorite NFL DFS Angle in Cowboys vs. Buccaneers Showdown
It feels a little uncomfortable, but I think the best GPP play of the slate is actually pretty obvious. Despite being the big play threat for a team projected to throw the ball at least 40 times on Monday, I expect Mike Evans to be significantly less owned than fellow expensive receivers CeeDee Lamb and Chris Godwin.
Despite a long stretch of really lousy results, Evans ended the year with a bang in week 17, posting 51.7 DK points. Normally I would expect some recency bias so close to such a big performance, but I really think the combination of projection and players being burned by him all season will keep ownership down significantly.
Keep an eye on ownership projections once they come out, but if they reflect my prediction, then Evans is a great tournament play despite being uncomfortable to click on.
Lineup Optimizer Rules to Consider
- Max 3 players vs. opposing Defense
- Minimum 90% Salary
- Pair Captain Tom Brady with at least two Bucs pass-catchers. I would even consider making an “at least 3” rule for some lineups and include the running backs.
- Pair Captain Dak Prescott with at least two Cowboys pass-catchers
- Pair Captain pass-catchers with at most one other pass-catcher from the same team
- Decrease Ezekiel Elliott by 10% in lineups with Tony Pollard Captain
- Decrease Rachaad White by 5% in lineups with Leonard Fournette Captain
- Max two kickers and defenses.
- Max 1 Russell Gage and Julio Jones
- Max 1 Noah Brown and TY Hilton
Captain Pool (from highest to lowest priority)
- CeeDee Lamb
- Mike Evans
- Chris Godwin
- Tony Pollard
- Dalton Schultz
- Dak Prescott
- Tom Brady
- Leonard Fournette
- Ezekiel Elliot
Large-Field GPP Fliers
- Rachaad White
- Michael Gallup