As we return to the land of shot tracker, the PGA TOUR makes its way to Houston to play the 2022 Cadence Bank Houston Open at Memorial Park Golf Course.
This will be the third consecutive year that Memorial Park Golf Course will serve as the tournament host.
Memorial Park is a par 70 layout, measuring 7,432 yards, and features Bermudagrass greens. Historically, the main defense for the course will be fairly thick rough, and tightly mowed runoff areas around the greens. Memorial Park has a unique setup that features three par 5s and five par 3 holes.
The field will consist of 132 players, with the top 65 and ties making the cut. There are some big names making the trip to Houston, including Scottie Scheffler, Sam Burns, Tony Finau, Jason Day, and Hideki Matsuyama.
For GPP contests on DraftKings. I will be breaking down the key stats (past 24 rounds) and selecting golfers from different price tiers to provide flexibility for a DFS lineup.
This analysis may reference Strokes Gained, a set of proprietary metrics generated by the PGA TOUR using millions of data points to calculate how many shots on average it takes a player to get the ball in the hole from every distance and situation. Strokes Gained is now available in the FantasyLabs PGA Models.
Strokes Gained: Approach
Memorial Park is a pretty tough golf course. Golfers are penalized for missing greens and have to face some difficult up-and-downs to save par. The approach will be key.
- High-end target: Tony Finau – $10,400 (2nd SG: APP)
- Mid-range target: Matthew NeSmith – $8,900 (3rd SG: APP)
- Value Target: Brendan Steele – $7,200 (4th SG: APP)
Strokes Gained: Off-the-Tee
Memorial Park is a long golf course with rough that can be penal. Therefore, a combination of distance and accuracy is the best metric.
- High-end target: Scottie Scheffler – $11,500 (2nd SG:OTT)
- Mid-range target: Taylor Pendrith – $8,500 (1st SG: OTT)
- Value target: Davis Thompson– $7.300 (9th SG: OTT)
Strokes Gained Putting: Bermudagrass + Fast
The Bermudagrass greens played fairly fast the past few years in Houston. Jason Kokrak gained 8.7 strokes putting on his way to victory last season.
- High-end target: Sam Burns – $10,700 (11th SG: Putting Bermuda + Fast)
- Mid-range target: Sepp Straka – $7,400 (6th SG: Putting Bermuda + Fast)
- Value target: Ben Taylor – $6,500 (5th SG: Putting Bermuda + Fast)
Strokes Gained: Around the Green
With firm and undulating putting surfaces, holding the green on approach shots may prove to be a challenge. Memorial Park has many tightly mowed run-off areas. Golfers will have challenging up and downs around the greens. Carlos Ortiz gained 5.7 strokes around the green on the way to victory in 2020.
- High-end target: Russell Henley – $10,000 (13th in SG: ARG)
- Mid-range target: Si Woo Kim – $8,200 (6th in SG: ARG)
- Value target: Francesco Molinari– $7,100 (2nd in SG: ARG)
Strokes Gained: Par 5
Over the past few years, Strokes Gained: Par 5 has rated out as the most important statistic at Memorial Park.
- High-end target: Aaron Wise – $9,900 (4th SG: Par 5)
- Mid-range target: Jason Day – $9,500 (7th SG: Par 5)
- Value target: Davis Thompson– $7,200 (6th SG: Par 5)