We head to Austin Country Club this week for the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play. This is the final edition of the WGC Match Play at Austin Country Club, and there is no match play event on the schedule for 2024.
Austin Country Club is a par 71, measuring 7,108 yards. It is a Pete Dye design and features Bermudagrass greens.
The Dell Technologies Match Play is yet another designated event. Therefore there is a prize pool of $20 million. The field will consist of 64 of the Tour’s top players. The only notable exceptions are Justin Thomas and Justin Rose.
For GPP contests on DraftKings, I will be breaking down the key stats (past 24 rounds) and selecting golfers from different price tiers to provide flexibility for a DFS lineup.
For large-field tournaments, you can utilize our Lineup Optimizer to effortlessly create up to 300 lineups, or use our Lineup Builder if you like to hand-build your lineups.
This analysis may reference Strokes Gained, a set of proprietary metrics generated by the PGA TOUR using millions of data points to calculate how many shots on average it takes a player to get the ball in the hole from every distance and situation.
Strokes Gained is now available in the FantasyLabs PGA Models.
Strokes Gained: Approach
Strokes Gained: Approach is always a great place to start when creating a predictive model. Pete Dye designs have challenging green complexes, making it crucial to hit your spot when hitting approaches to the green, and the greens at Austin CC are smaller than TOUR average.
- High-end target: Scottie Scheffler — $11,100 (4th SG: Approach)
- Mid-range target: Tyrrell Hatton — $9,000 (10th SG: Approach)
- Value target: Tom Hoge — $7,100 (1st SG: Approach)
Strokes Gained: Off-the-Tee
In match play, driving distance can play a huge factor. Whoever has the furthest drive will have the luxury of seeing what their opponent did with their approach before deciding on which strategy to apply when making their approaches. The greens are firm at Austin Country Club, so playing from the rough or using a longer iron on approaches will cause some issues for golfers.
- High-end target: Scottie Scheffler — $11,100 (2nd SG: Off the Tee)
- Mid-range target: Patrick Cantlay — $10,700 (1st SG: Off the Tee
- Value target: Keith Mitchell — $8,100 (3rd SG: Off the Tee)
Our Lineup Optimizer comes fully ready to optimize for this match-play event. All you need to do is load the template from our optimizer settings:
This feature allows you to make sure you have a golfer from each quadrant in your lineup — making it optimal to maximize points in your lineup as the tournament progresses.
Strokes Gained: Pete Dye Designs
Pete Dye specialists seem to always bring their best game when playing on Pete Dye designs. Golfer’s comfort level on the unique layout of the course this week should play a factor this week.
- High-end target: Scottie Scheffler — $11,100 (3rd Strokes Gained: Pete Dye Designs)
- Mid-range target: Shane Lowry — $8,400 (1st Strokes Gained: Pete Dye Designs)
- Value target: Corey Conners— $7,900 (2nd Strokes Gained: Pete Dye Designs)
Birdie or Better Gained
A unique aspect of match play is the fact that a terrible hole doesn’t take you out of the match. If your opponent makes a birdie, it doesn’t matter if you make a par or a quadruple bogey; you simply lose the hole and move on to the next. Therefore, targeting golfers who make a lot of birdies and force their opponent to match will be a sound strategy this week.
- High-end target: Jon Rahm — $11,000 (1st in Birdie or Better Gained)
- Mid-range target: Keith Mitchell — $8,100 (5th in Birdie or Better Gained)
- Value target: Taylor Montgomery — $ 7,400 (11th in Birdie or Better Gained)
Strokes Gained: Putting (Bermudagrass)
Putting is especially important in match play. Golfers will need to make plenty of pressure-packed putts in the match play setting. Historically, great putters have won this event, and flat stick prowess should prove to be a factor again.
- High-end target: Jon Rahm — $11,000 (3rd Strokes Gained: Putting Bermudagrass)
- Mid-range target: Tyrrell Hatton — $9,000 (7th Strokes Gained: Putting Bermudagrass)
- Value target: Maverick McNealy — $6,800 (1st Strokes Gained: Putting Bermudagrass)