Strokes Gained can give golf bettors, DFS players and fans far more detail on how a golfer is truly playing by measuring each shot in relation to the rest of the field.
Most importantly, Strokes Gained breaks down into different categories and shows how a player is performing off the tee, on approach shots, around the green and putting. Generally, ball-striking categories like off the tee and approach are considered the most predictive of success week to week, while putting is more random.
Here is an overview of the strokes gained data metrics that are now available in our PGA Player Models:
- SGOTT: Strokes gained off the tee on par-4s and par-5s.
- SGATG: Strokes gained around the green, includes shots within 30 yards of the green.
- SGAPP: Strokes gained on approach shots to the green. Includes shots that are not included in SGOTT or SGATG.
- SGT2G: Strokes gained tee to green, measures strokes gained on all shots, excluding those taken on the putting surface.
- SGP: Strokes gained putting.
- SGTOT: Total strokes gained, the sum of SGT2G and SGP.
Each strokes gained metric is also offered in the following categories:
- LONG-TERM FORM: Includes results over the past 75 weeks.
- SHORT-TERM FORM: Includes results over the past 6 weeks.
- COURSE FORM: Includes previous results at this golf course.
Learn more about our golf tools here!